In the last week bushfires (forest fires for the yanks) have ripped through the state of Victoria in Australia. It’s been the worst natural disaster the country has faces in over 100 years and so far has claimed the lives of more than 180 people with many more injured.
The fires have destroyed over a 1,000 homes leaving many homeless or seeking refuge. Many towns have been completely destroyed. The fire has had a devastating impact on the environment with over 1 million animals estimated to be dead and millions of hectares of bush wiped out. While a financial sum can’t bring back what has been destroyed the bill for rebuilding is going to run into the billions.
So, if you’re in Shanghai and would like to donate (and drink) AustCham Shanghai together with sponsors Just Beer, Kakadu, and Elders are donating all proceeds from beer and raffle ticket sales at Aussie Drinks this Friday to the Australian Red Cross bushfire efforts.
Entry is only 30RMB for non-members and Australian beers will cost between 20-30RMB, and Australian wine between 35-45RMB. With those bargain basement prices for imported drinks I don’t think many could afford not to help out.
The raffle will cost only 10RMB with the following prizes up for grabs:
* Voucher for 2000RMB to redeem on a pair of ECCO shoes
* 4 cases of VB home delivered, valued at 1008RMB sponsored by Just Beer
* Dinner for 6 at the Kommune Great “Ozzie BBQ” on Wednesdays, valued at 888RMB
* 400RMB voucher for home delievery plus a bottle of Hugh Hamilton “The Rascal” Shiraz valued at 298 RMB per bottle, Sponsored by Elders.
* Donut King Party voucher valued at 680RMB sponsored by Donut King
* Box of 25 gourmet meat pies valued at 600RMB sponsored by Allied Pickfords
* Travel package for two people to Zhou Zhuang valued at 600RMB sponsored by Sunrise Travel
* 600RMB travel voucher to be redeemed on flights, tours etc. sponsored by Classic Travel
What: AustCham Friday Drinks (Bushfire appeal)
When: Friday 13th February 2009
Where: Kakadu, No. 8 Jianguo Zhong Lu nr Chongqing Lu
Address in Chinese:
建国中路8号卡卡图澳大利亚餐厅, 近重庆南路 (往重庆路开到底在建国路口下车)
For more information visit the Austcham Shanghai Website.